Simple Shortbread Cookie Base--Flavour As You Like


Cookbooks were my favourite picture-books while growing up.  I can't remember where I first read the proportions; my mom was always borrowing cooking or baking magazines and I devoured each and every one.  Sometimes to her great annoyance because I would refuse to give up the book or magazine when she needed it to try out a recipe.

What I do remember is that it had to be equal proportions of just 3 ingredients (similar to pound cake but without the eggs):
- Sugar (I prefer using crystals that are slightly larger than granulated sugar)
- Butter (Salted)
- Flour (All Purpose Flour)

There are many versions of shortbread cookies that have a bit more or even twice the flour -- which I've also tried.  But I always go back to this set of proportions because I love how the butter flavour is so concentrated and the fat almost fries the cookies in the oven giving it a wonderful toasty, buttery, crumbly texture.

To make it less sweet, I've actually modified my favourite recipe to just 1/3 of the sugar.  I also prefer using either of these brands of sugar:

  • 백설 갈색설당 (Korean Baek-Seol Brown Sugar)
  • きび砂糖 (Japanese Kibisato - light brown cane sugar)
I've also had to modify the flour otherwise the dough is just too soft and greasy--about an extra 1/3 to 1/2 a cup.  To be honest, depending on what I'm adding to add flavour to the recipe...I just eyeball.  So this extra measurement has to be flexible depending on whether you are adding more liquid or solids.

Also, refrigerate before baking to prevent the cookie dough from spreading too much as it bakes; at least half an hour if you're in a rush.

If you're planning on piping your cookies, pipe and then refrigerate but cover tightly so that the dough doesn't absorb the smells in your fridge!

Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes; depending on the thickness of your cookies. 10-12 minutes for thinner cookies and 15-20 minutes for shaped or piped cookies.

Matcha Shortbread: I sifted the matcha powder with the flour at least twice to ensure that there are no clumps of green and no chance of uneven distribution throughout the dough.  A lot of recipes call for an insane amount of the delicious green powder.  I don't like to be hit in the face with matcha and prefer a delicate, subtle hint so I put 1/3 of the average amount.  It's really up to you what you prefer.

Almond Shortbread: I love almonds but I don't like using almond flavouring much.  So I added finely chopped almond pieces into the cookie dough.

Peppermint Shortbread: I made these during the Christmas season by piping large swirls and baking the plain shortbread cookies, cooling them and then dipping them in melted milk Lindt chocolate and sprinkling crushed candy canes.  Kids love these...just be ready when the sugar high hits.

Espresso Shot Shortbread: 2 TBSP finely ground espresso beans sifted with the flour; similar to how I incorporated the matcha powder.  Better distribution and the ground beans add a lovely visual post-baking.

Choco Shortbread: There are 2 ways of doing this...dip plain shortbread in dark chocolate OR sifting 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder with the flour and then dipping in melted white chocolate.  Either way, make sure your flavours are balanced.  I find that because I've lessened the sugar content in the shortbread, I don't have to worry that the sweetness from any icing or dipping chocolate I use will result in a cloying, gag-inducing, overly sweet cookie that looks pretty but is inedible.

Pumpkin Jam Thumbprint Shortbread: So my brother thought that the pumpkin spice jam would be just as wonderfully delicious as the Starbucks Pumpkin Lattes that he loves to get. Yeahhh...no, it was awful and goosebump inducing.  BUT! Used as filling in my shortbread thumbprint cookies was perfect!
Substitute with any other jam for more flavours! Strawberry, Raspberry, Blueberry, Apple (drizzle with caramel sauce after baking), Blackberry, Marmalade, Grape, Cherry (drizzle with melted chocolate when cooled), whatever you'd like to use.

Candied Fruit Shortbread: The Italian Panettone and Christmas fruitcake was my inspiration for this one.  Add 1/2 cup of finely chopped mixed candied fruits and bake as usual.  Pipe, cut rounds, cut-out shapes, all up to you!

Ginger Spiced Shortbread: 2 Tbsp Cinnamon, 1 Tbsp Ground Ginger, 1 Tsp Nutmeg and 1 Tsp Cloves for a spicy, Christmas-y, ginger-y cookie. (You can make it any time of year too.)

Chai Shortbread: 1 Tsp freshly ground cardamom, 1 Tbsp Cinnamon, pinch of ground cloves.  OR, you could just use 2 teabags of Chai Tea.  I prefer Spicy Chai when using tea bags; the more spice the better.

There are so many other flavours to try, that I haven't gotten around to making:
peanut butter, apricot, peach, pear, salted caramel, ube, maple syrup, earl grey, and the list goes on.

I do hope to work my way through the list....but in the meantime,

다음에 봐요!
See you next time!


#homecafe #chai #ginger #matcha #ChristmasShortbread #peppermint #almond #homebaking #ChristmasPrep #백설갈색설당 #きび砂糖




Comments

Popular Posts