What I Plan to Come Back With from South Korea


I know, I know....what I plan to get and what I actually do find will probably be different; but, I'm hoping it won't be way too different or way too much!  I do know that a lot of results from searching on Google will pull up some of the items on my list - but I also feel it is ridiculous to be purchasing food that I know is available either in H-Mart or Hannam, here in Canada.  So no - unless I discover that it's food, absolutely unavailable in Canada, I won't be buying it.  And definitely no fun socks either; there are so many here in Asian markets - thank goodness for that!

Top of my list:
  • Korean Starbucks mug/tumbler featuring the hibiscus flower.  Personally, I love the hibiscus flower (a traditional symbol for the Koreans and their culture) - second to carnations.  I used to have a two-toned hibiscus hair-clip that unfortunately snapped in half.  If I can't find the hibiscus design, I at least want to get the one with a cherry blossom; better yet, one of both??  (I'm getting greedy now.) I also stumbled on a specially made design for mid-autumn festival...oh help!
  • 도장 for sure; seems there is a do-it-yourself location in Insadong, but I would have to book 3 days in advance. There's also the one in Namdamun Market; apparently it only takes 3 minutes?!  That's cool and very efficient if I will be in a hurry - although the experience of carving my own would be absolutely awesome.
  • Something made with 한지 (Hanji) Korean paper; maybe a fan? a doll (if my sister is having a girl - she's pregnant with her 2nd child now)? a small box? a picture frame? a lantern?  So many options to choose from!!! And all would be great gifts for friends and family.
  • Phone case - yes, I'm getting a cute phone case...we have such a limited selection here in Canada.  It's either utilitarian (aka---BORING), or there's masses of them in the same range of colours and/or styles. Yuck! The cool ones are crazy expensive. Ugh!  So yes, I will be phone case hunting.
  • Korean Neck Pillow - Hey, I could use it on the plane ride back home...so I would count it as a great investment. Plus, it's apparently recommended by doctors as a great help in stabilizing the spine and inducing deep sleep. Why not??
  • Celadon dinnerware - Insadong seems to be the recommended spot...although the real pieces are quite pricey.  너무 비싸요! This could be debatable...
  • Postcards and Stationary - oh yep!  That will definitely be in my luggage homeward bound!
  • Pens??? Maybe, if I find unique or cute enough ones. :)
  • Fabrics - I stumbled on this site while looking up sewing materials in South Korea, "Land of Oh Fabrics", there's also CHUNGAGE, and Dongdaemun Fabric Market.
  • Tea - I'll most likely go for traditional or herbal teas.
I think I've covered enough...for now.  Who knows, I might add to this list; and if COVID-19 is around for a while....I just might have a much longer list by the end of it.




#souvenirs #KoreanStarbucks #hibiscus #Utsuwa-no-Yakata #Insadong #NamdamunMarket #Celadon #Chungage #DongdaemunFabricMarket #도장 #휴가 #여행

Comments

Popular Posts